« Back to our people
Jock first practised as a doctor of medicine, working full-time as a hospital physician for five years. He then also qualified as a solicitor and for some years he worked both in medicine and the law. Now he concentrates on his work as a solicitor but brings his practical experience of medicine to his role as a partner in our clinical negligence team.
The fight for proper redress can often be a traumatic, painful and difficult experience for clients who have suffered injuries from bad medical care. Jock’s rare dual qualification and experience enhances his ability to empathise with and act effectively for his clients, achieving significant settlements that can transform the lives of clients and their family members.
Clinical negligence cases can be complex and Jock’s medical and legal understanding give him an advantage with the forensic analyses and intellectual challenges where the law and science meet, qualities that are recognised by peers in the legal profession as well as valued by clients.
- A dual qualified doctor of medicine and solicitor with a perspective and knowledge other Clinical Negligence solicitors simply do not have.
- Powerful against a range of complex case types, including:
- neurological and brain injury, cerebral palsy caused by birth injury, spinal cord injury and neurosurgery cases;
- cases involving difficult or unusual medicine;
- hospital treatment cases;
- non-NHS/private medicine cases; and,
- fatal injuries caused by medical treatment.
- Chambers and Legal 500 rated:
- “Excellent medical knowledge and good rapport with clients.” – Chambers and Partners 2019
- “Absolutely fantastic with clients – so sensitive and understanding of them and their needs.”
- “An enviable practice and a medical background that gives him an obvious advantage when dealing with cases with complex medical facts.”
- “Greatly assists in the preparation of the case and discussions with the experts.”
- “Continues to impress both peers and clients with an approach that is ‘caring, detailed’ and informed by ‘a great medical background’.”
- “The edge over his competitors.”
- Medical doctor registered with the General Medical Council
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) senior litigator
- Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA) panel member
- Law Society Clinical Negligence panel member
- Regularly asked by national press and media to comment on clinical negligence and health management issues