Andrew Brookes is a partner at Anthony Gold. He specialises in the Housing and Property Disputes department, based in our South London offices at Elephant & Castle.
Andrew trained with Anthony Gold, became a partner in 1997 and developed the highly regarded Housing and Property Disputes Team. The team is now top ranked and known nationally.
Andrew’s clients include tenants and other private individuals, residents’ associations, social landlords, private landlords and commercial organisations. He also has wide ranging experience of judicial review cases of all kinds.
His reported cases cover such matters as the scope of a local authority’s duty towards intentionally homeless persons, decisions in the Lands Tribunal relating to residential service charges, the enforcement of a mortgage over commercial property, and a successful judicial review of a local authority’s decision to increase parking charges.
Andrew spent six years as chair of the Housing Law Practitioners’ Association. With a longstanding interest in social housing, Andrew has also been a board member of a housing association in south London. He is currently on the editorial board of the Journal of Housing Law and regularly writes and lectures on housing law.
- A formidable and respected housing and property litigation specialist who achieves outstanding results for his clients.
- At the forefront of thinking and development in his field.
- Chambers and Legal 500 rated:
- ‘Extremely good reputation’ – Chambers and Partners 2019
- ‘Impressive’ and ‘hugely knowledgeable’ – Legal 500 2019
- ‘An absolute legend’ in the housing space’ – Legal 500 2019
- ‘Undisputed expert of housing law’ – Legal 500 2019
- “A brain the size of a planet.”
- “Particularly dedicated and practical.”
- “Knowledgeable and very supportive.”
- “Reputation for soundness and thoroughness.”
- “Highly skilled in a range of housing issues, Brookes has particular expertise in housing-related personal injury. Key work highlights include defending complex possession claims, including those raising issues of proportionality in relation to Article 8 ECHR.”
“Knowledgeable and capable”
Praised for his “friendly and supportive” approach, alongside his “wealth of experience.”
“Imaginative and does not leave any stone unturned”
- Board member of a South London housing association.
- Chair of Housing Law Practitioners Association for 6 years
- Current Editorial Board member of the Journal of Housing Law
- Has delivered training for Central Law Training, CPD Cast and the Housing Law Practitioners Association. Has delivered a seminar at the Institute of Advance Legal Studies as part of an Economic and Social Research Council funded programme.
In the media
Andrew Brookes - Chambers and Partners 2019
Andrew Brookes - Legal 500 2019
Leading Firm - Chambers and Partners 2019
Leading Firm - Legal 500 2019
Anthony Gold - Chambers and Partners 2019
Legal 500 Recommended Lawyer 2017
Legal 500 Leading Individual 2017
Legal 500 Leading Firm 2017
Legal 500 Top Tier Firm 2017
Andrew Brookes - Chambers and Partners