« Back to our people
David is a specialist in residential landlord and tenant law. He advises landlords and agents in this field with a particular focus on changes in the law. He is well known for his work on tenancy deposit protection, houses in multiple occupation and consumer protection legislation. David acts for clients needing specialist drafting of tenancy agreement, terms of business and other documents, in relation to complex landlord and tenant litigation, and also in defending clients faced with prosecution for alleged breaches of landlord and tenant and related consumer protection legislation at which he has an enviable record of success. David believes in offering sensible advice that fits with his clients business and personal needs. As a specialist in law firm compliance fulfilling this role within the firm he is practised in steering a reasonable path between legal obligations and practical considerations.
David also provides specialist training and lecturing on his areas of expertise at all levels having spoken and provided training courses for solicitors, surveyors, letting agents, and large and small landlords.
David is also a skilled and experienced mediator offering advice on the law and practice of mediation and mediating property, landlord and tenant, and boundary disputes.
About David Smith
"I strongly believe that a well conducted mediation is often the best way for clients to resolve a dispute. I believe that a mediator who is prepared to work hard and maintain a practical but good humoured approach can find settlements in the most intractable disputes."
David is a mediator specialising in property disputes. He has a wide range of experience in difficult and contentious disputes including commercial and residential tenancies and all types of family, neighbour, boundary and trust disputes.
His early experience with charities dealing with neighbour disputes means that he is particularly skilled at obtaining settlements in emotionally charged situations such as those involving parties with formerly close relationships and regularly obtains satisfactory settlements in cases which the parties believed to be impossible to resolve. He is also skilled at getting past obstacles to focus quickly on the key problems in a dispute.
He writes regularly on mediation topics and is the co-author of Advising and Representing Clients at Mediation published by Wildy and Sons in 2013.
- A recognised expert in residential landlord and tenant law.
- Renowned for providing practical solutions to legal problems.
- What clients say:
“David has an incredibly impressive knowledge and understanding of the law but is also utterly reliable, personable and a genuine pleasure to work with.”
“David’s great subject expertise is always relayed with enthusiasm, clearly communicating the important details in often complex legal issues.”
“David is astoundingly knowledgeable about his subject, and has always been consummately professional. His advice is concise, to the point and totally reliable.”
- Member of editorial board, RICS Property Journal
- Member of editorial board, RICS Isurv
- New Policy Chief, The Residential Landlords Association (RLA)
- Member of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators
- (with Francis Davey) The Housing Act 2004 and Residential Lettings: A Practical Guide (RICS Books, 2008)
- (with Stephen Walker) Advising and Representing Clients at Mediation (Wildy & Sons, 2013)
- Numerous articles in professional and academic publications on property matters
- David is listed as the course speaker for Possession of Private residential Premises, a course organised by Central Law Training.