« Back to our people
David is a Partner specialising in family law and conducts the advocacy in the majority of his cases. He has particular expertise in resolving complex financial and children cases for separating couples. He is experienced in dealing with both pre and post nuptial settlements as well as co-habitation law. David is very good at resolving disputes without going to court and is an accredited mediator and an experienced Collaborative family lawyer which are the effective ways of resolving family disputes between separating couples. David is vice-chair of the Dispute Resolution committee at Resolution and a part time District Judge dealing with both family and civil cases, giving him a unique perspective and knowledge in successfully resolving cases.
David is a member of Resolution’s prestigious accreditation panel of expert family lawyers specialising in finance, private law children and domestic abuse categories;
In June 2004 he was awarded an O.B.E. for his work in legal services nationally and particularly in east London.
David has been recommended as an expert family lawyer and mediator by the Legal 500, Chambers Directory and Thomson Reuter’s Superlawyers.
- An experienced family lawyer specialising in resolving family disputes concerning finances and children constructively and effectively, leaving clients able to move forward positively after the difficulties of relationship breakdown
- Ensures clients always focus on the particular needs of every child
- Able to conduct cases out of court through mediation, collaborative law or other negotiating or where necessary through the courts as an experienced litigator and advocate
- Legal 500 says the ‘skilled’ David Emmerson ‘puts clients at ease’
- Clients say: “He is a lovely man (incredibly kind and supportive) and very well respected as a lawyer. He is one of the leading lights of Resolution, an organisation committed to handling family break up in as conciliatory was as possible – but he has real steel about him also, so I would totally trust him to protect a client’s interests if the going got rough.”
- David has written many articles for Family Law, The Law Society Gazette, New Law Journal, Family Law Week, Resolution’s Revue and the Solicitor’s journal. He has been interviewed on family law matters by the Telegraph, Guardian, Observer and Independent
- David is the author of Butterworth’s Family Law Service domestic abuse section and was a co-author of Resolution’s Family Law Handbook
- A member of the Association of Lawyers for Children
- David has been an elected member of Resolution’s National Committee since 2003. Resolution is the national organisation that represents over 6500 family law and dispute resolution professionals
- A member of Thomson Reuters Practical Law Family editorial board
- David is an Anti – Discrimination Panel Chair for the Football Association as part of their strategy of combating all forms of discrimination in football
- Member of Lexis Nexis’ editorial board